When it comes to improving your odds of winning at roulette, tips may not be very helpful. But some advice, as well as creative thoughts on strategy, can make the game more enjoyable and limit the extent of your financial risk.
1. Never gamble with “dear” money. The number one rule for gambling, and the most important of all roulette tips, is to never gamble with “dear” money; only gamble with “excess” money. In other words, never gamble with money that you will need now, or may need in the near future, to pay for your financial commitments and everyday living expenses.
2. Don’t Kid Yourself. With a house advantage of 5.26% or more roulette is not a game for serious gamblers. The most important tips for roulette will, therefore, not be on ways to improve your chances of winning but rather on ways to effectively manage your money as you gamble.
3. Manage Your Money. If you play roulette for an extended period, you will lose your money. So before you play decide how much you’re willing to lose and when you reach that amount walk away. If you’re ahead at some point, pull some of your winnings out of your bankroll and out it into a “do not touch” pile so that you’ll have something to cash in when the rest of your bank is gone.
4. Determine your Standard Betting Unit. Decide how much you’re willing to lose at roulette and divide that number by 10 or 20. This should be your standard betting unit; the amount that you will bet on each roll. Whether you spread this amount among several bets or place it all on one, don’t go above this amount unless it is part of a betting strategy you will employ.
5. In the Long Run there are No Winning Strategies. Most popular roulette tips rely on the faulty notion that previous results will predict future events. In reality, every spin of the wheel will produce a totally random result, so no amount of scientific study of the trend of previous results will help predict the next roll.
6. Know how to Lose Slowly. Even though the house advantage is almost always 5.26%, your chances of winning on one roll vary significantly with different bets. One of the roulette tips that will help you stick around longer is to only make the wagers that you’re most likely to win, even though the house is still taking the same advantage. Your highest probability of winning, at just over 47% of the time, are bets on odd, even, black, red, 1 to 18 and 19 to 36.
7. Know how to Lose Quickly. The only bet on the roulette table that offers a house advantage of more than 5.26% is the combination bet on 0-00-1-2-3. This bet gives the house an even larger advantage of 7.89% so if you’re looking to give your money away fast this is the bet for you.
8. Know How to Win Big. If you’re playing roulette you’re only hope is to get lucky so many players bet the biggest payoffs thinking that, if luck does hit, they’ll at least win big. The largest payoffs on the table are single numbers (35:1), two number combinations (17:1) and three number combinations (11:1).
9. Try a Positive Progression System. As far as roulette tips go, this one could make you a big winner – if you get lucky in the short run. Choose one of the highest probability bets (see #5) and place your standard betting unit on it. If you win, increase the last bet by 50% on the following roll. If you win again, increase the bet by 50% again. When you lose, go back to a single betting unit on the next roll.
10. Play European Roulette. Of all the roulette tips this is the one that will always help. In European roulette there is only one 0, not two as in American roulette. This cuts the house advantage from 5.26% to 2.70%. Although it’s hard to fine this game in a North American casino many of the online gambling sites do offer this distinct advantage for the player.